Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Hail the Saree Sirens!

Unlike the fast fashion, this segment believes in its vintage swag. I wish I had my grandmother’s trousseau collection with me today. I swear, I would have done a complete justice to it. Like the way, I adore my mom’s. Ah! Those collections are for some other day.
This post is dedicated to a weave and print from the heart of India.(Literally translated from hindi – Hindustan ka dil;)). I am talking about the Maheshwari cotton Silk with Bagh print.
A soft handloom is a gift to us. It is the blend of silk and cotton and I can bet anything if you don't write back to me about its comfort. Why is it called Maheshwari? Because it hails from a place known as Maheshwar in MadhyaPradesh. Most of the handlooms are named after the place they originate from. Like, Dhakai is from Dhaka.
The USP of this weave is that it is lightweight and rich at the same time. This happens as the cotton threads counts are fine & usage of silk infuses the richness. There are online sites selling Maheshwari sarees/fabrics. But I would urge all of you to feel the fabric first in real and then get going virtual. It is an experience.
And the Bagh print is a rustic tribal art. No, it has no connection to Tiger (known as Bagh in Hindi) being printed on fabrics. Hehe. There exist a village named ‘Bagh’ in MP
This print is block printing and has held the textile world by its horns. Early 60’s saw the synthetic world luring in full force and most of the textile & handloom arts were dying. However, some stayed on and carried that patterns & arts to this generation. So so thankful. I totally totally support the artisans of India. Dig them and wear them with pride. What I find very exciting is the colours are natural dyes and I have this thing for eco-fashion.
It seems there is a process to this muted print. It needs washing in a particular river, which enhances this texture. It cannot be done anywhere else or even if done, it is not the same anymore or may be they are innovating already.  
I wear this saree as a formal wear to office and important meetings.Sarees for me is not just for festivals and weddings, I wear them all the time and love collecting those unique and traditional ones. Have a look from this mornings's Outfit.






P.S: My saree stylist & consultant is my mom. I would want to share with you her wardrobe someday.
A caution for keeping your sarees intact. Dry clean them and store please and if you think you will not wear them anytime soon then take it out change the fold, air them and then keep it back . Use Hangers if you have space in your closet and wear sarees often.

No comments: